Walk-My-Dog Program - Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills
Become the person your pet thinks you are with our expert veterinary care, love-building support, & year-round community!
Win prizes for enjoying a fun, outdoor activity that strengthens your human-animal bond
What is the Walk-My-Dog Program?
- It's simple, fun & good for you.
- The concept is similar to a library's summer reading program but instead of reading books, participants are walking miles with their dogs.
- Walk your own dog(s) on your own schedule & on your own route to win prizes.
Why do it?
- Fear & anxiety are at an all-time high.
- Getting outdoors & walking your dog decreases anxiety & increases your bond (even while social distancing).
- Studies show that folks who have a training partner are more likely to stay motivated & fit - & that is especially true if your training partner is a dog!
- Pull out the leash & the tail is wagging - how can you say no?
“A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk.”
-- O.A. Battista
Who can participate?
- All ages
- Clients, non-clients
- Dog-owners, non-dog-owners
Ready, Set, Walk!
- Registration is no longer needed. We will collect that information when logs are turned in.
- Download and print our mileage log & start tracking distance
- Each walker will need to download a separate log
- Walkers can return their logs in person after July 31 (no sooner, please) to pick up prizes (while supplies last).
- Logs must be received by August 14 to be eligible for prizes.
Tracking Your Distance
- Walkers can use any route, any time of day, as long as they are also walking with a dog.
- Walk your dog, a friend's dog or even with your family group walking a dog.
- Participate in our Facebook Event page sharing your tips & photos for great neighborhood routes & memories.
- Email walking photos to firstname.lastname@example.org for use on our Facebook, Instagram (@loveictvet.wichita) & website to help encourage others to keep going!
Meet Your Goal & Win!
- From Aug. 1 through Aug. 14, walkers may bring their mileage logs back to Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills for prizes.
- Walkers may only count the distance walked from June 1 to July 31 (exception in 2020 when program started in April).
** Our non-profit Courage Fund: Providing free care to Wichita Police & Fire working dogs so their handlers only have to worry about catching criminals & rescuing citizens. See our Courage Fund page for more information.
Additional prizes for Mileage Winners
- Top distance walked in the following categories will be awarded additional prizes from area retailers (the 2019 top mileage winner walked 158 miles in two months):
- Human: grade school (grade K-5), middle school (grade 6-8), high school (grade 9-12), adult (age 18-54), senior (age 55+).
- Canine: toy breed (1-10 pounds), small breed (11-25 pounds), medium breed (26-50 pounds), large breed (51-85 pounds), giant breed (86+ pounds).
2021 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall mileage winner: Tami W. with Chihuahua "Peaches" - 162.7 miles!
- Adult mileage winner: Kelly O. with Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix "River" - 84.92 miles!
- Giant Breed winner: Pitbull Mix "Maddux" with Sheree H. - 35 miles!
2020 Walk-My-Dog Program (expanded to April - July during pandemic) mileage winners:
- Overall mileage winner: Michelle C. with Pointer Mix "Holly" - 410 miles!
- Adult winner: Kelly H. with Golden Retriever "Milo" - 192 miles!
- High school winner: Khori B. with Wolfhound Mix "Kaya" - 54 miles!
- Grade school winner: Joshua P. with Bichon "Gizmo" - 63 miles!
- Giant Breed winner: Pitbull Mix "Maddux" with Sheree H. - 229 miles
- Large Breed winner: Pointer Mix "Holly" with Michelle C. - 410 miles!
- Medium Breed winner: Mixed Breed "Salinger" with Haley C. - 406 miles!
- Small Breed winner: Shih Tzu Mix "Rosie" with Lea F. - 92 miles!
- Toy Breed winner: Chihuahua "Peach" with Tami W. - 255 miles!
2019 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall mileage winner: Sam S. with “Rusty” - 158 miles
- Middle School winner: TIE - Hope S. & Simon S. with “Rusty” - 107 miles
- Adult mileage winner: Christie D. with “Jazz” - 147 miles
- Sr. Adult mileage winner: Vince R. with “Molly” - 128.7 miles
- Toy Breed winner: “Lucy” with George & Nancy K. - 121 miles
- Small Breed winner: “Spencer” with Kelly A. - 55.5 miles
- Large Breed winner: “Max” with Anita L. - 128.7 miles
- Giant Breed winner: “Maddux” with Sheree H. - 100.5 miles
2018 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall Mileage Winner: Christie D. with "Jazz" - 161 miles
- Middle School Winner: Ella K. with "Sammy" - 79.12 miles
- High School Winner: Kristen M. with "Nutmeg" - 4.46 miles
- Adult Mileage Winner: Cheryl S. with "Scotch" & "Rusty" - 92.5 miles
- Senior Adult Mileage Winner: Vince R. with "Molly" - 129.8 miles
- Toy Breed Winner: "Lucy" with George & Nancy K. - 85.5 miles
- Small Breed Winner: "Scotch" with Hope S. - 78.5 miles
- Medium Breed Winner: "Rusty" with Sam S. - 98.5 miles
- Large Breed Winner: "Max" with Anita L. - 129.8 miles
- Giant Breed Winner: "Maddux" with Sheree H. - 80 miles
2017 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall Mileage Winner: Christie D. with “Jazz” - 220 miles
- Grade School Mileage Winner: Simon S. with “Scotch” - 46 miles
- Middle School Mileage Winner: Hope S. with “Scotch” - 50 miles
- High School Mileage Winner: Lauren H. with “Magnum” - 182 miles
- Adult Mileage Winner: Erin K. with “Riggs” - 81.63 miles
- Senior Mileage Winner: Anita L. with “Max” & “Molly” - 92.4 miles
- Toy Breed Mileage Winner: “Chesney” with Nancy Z. - 161 miles
- Small Breed Mileage Winner: “Scotch” with Tom S. - 66 miles
- Medium Breed Mileage Winner: “Holly” with Michelle C. - 182.48 miles
- Large Breed Mileage Winner: “Blazer” with Frank A. - 56 miles
- Giant Breed Mileage Winner: “Romey” with Dave M. - 81 miles
2016 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners
- Overall Distance winner: 178.5 miles - Nancy Z. & 9-pound poodle mix “Chesney”
- Student mileage winners: 56 miles - Hope & Sam with “Scotch”;51 miles - Simon with “Scotch”; 31.44 miles - Ella with “Sammy”
- Adult mileage winner: 67.36 miles - Erin with Labrador Retriever puppy “Riggs”
- Senior mileage winner: 95.1 miles - Vince with German Shepherd puppies “Max” &“Molly”
- Toy breed mileage winner: 55.5 miles - Maltese mix “Lucy” with Nancy K.
- Small breed mileage winner: 68.5 miles - Poodle mix “Scotch” with Cheryl
- Medium breed mileage winner: 95.1 - German Shepherd puppies “Max” & “Molly” with Anita
- Large breed mileage winner: 46.73 miles - Husky-German Shepherd mix “Zeke” with Kim
- Giant breed mileage winner: 46.73 miles - Great Pyrenees-Anatolian Shepherd mix “Emma” with Kim
2015 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall distance winner: Anita & Vince & “Sheela” – 147 miles
- Toy breed winner: “Chesney” & Nancy – 110 miles
- Adult winner: George & Nancy & “Pete” & “Lucy”– 66 miles
- Grade School winners: Simon/Hope/Sam & “Scotch” – 61/46/47 miles
- Small breed winner: “Scotch” & Thomas & Cheryl – 58 miles
- Medium breed winner: “Sammy” & Ella – 38 miles
2014 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall distance winner: Michelle & "Holly" – 161.4 miles.
- Pre-School winner: Dylan & “Cilla” – 14 miles
- Grade School winner: Grace & “Hurly Bear” – 36 miles
- Adult winner: Nancy & “Chesney” – 63 miles
- Senior winner: Gene & Trish & “Dolly” – 38 miles
- Toy breed winner: “Sugar” & family – 11 miles
- Small breed winner: “Lexy” & Jessica – 34.5 miles
- Medium breed winner: “Sammy” & Ella – 13 miles
- Large breed winner: “Chewy” & Nikki – 29 miles
- Giant breed winner: “Rocky” & Quentin – 24 miles
2013 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall distance winner: Michelle & "Holly" - 169 miles
- Grade School winner: Kiersten & "Buddy" - 11.5 miles
- High School winner: Madison & "Winston" - 6.5 miles
- Adult winner: Pattie & "Roxie" - 57 miles
- Senior winner: Anita & "Sheela & Shelly" - 99.6 miles
- Toy breed winner: "Lucy" & Nancy - 28 miles
- Small breed winner: "Lucy" & Nancy - 28 miles
- Large breed winner: Susan & "Molly" - 46.2 miles
2012 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
- Overall distance winner: Jean & "Rugan" - 176 miles.
- Grade School winner: Kiersten & "Snowball" - 11 miles.
- Adult winner with 1 dog: Phil & "Jake" - 151 miles.
- Adult winner with 2+ dogs: Nancy Z. & "Petey" "Scruffy" & "DannieLynn" - 101 miles.
- Senior winner: Anita & "Sheela" & "Shelly" - 99.7 miles.
- Small breed winner: "Shelby" & Martha - 93.25 miles.
- Small breed honorable mention: "Boomer" & Christine - 83.75 miles.
- Medium breed winner: "Holly" & Michelle - 58.8 miles.
- Large breed winner: "Madison" & Roman & Vangie - 100.16 miles.
- Giant breed winner: "Romey" & Kathie & Dave - 168.5 miles.
2011 (originally called Walk-a-Dog-a-Thon) mileage winners:
- Overall distance winner: Mary S. with German Shepherd, "Lexi" - 200 miles
- Senior adult winner: Anita L. with German Shepherds, "Sheela & Shelly" - 46 miles
- Adult winner: Phil J. with Rat Terrier, "Jake" - 76 miles
- Middle School winner: Kacey C. with Miniature Schnauzer, "Bella" - 36.5 miles
- Grade School winner: Caden J. with Australian Shepherd, "Aussie" - 22 miles
- Small breed winner: "Pete" the Poodle with Nancy K. - 53 miles
- Medium breed winner: Schnauzer "DannieLynn", Poodle "Petey" & Schnauzer "Scruffy" with Nancy Z. - 38 miles
- Large breed winner: Golden Retriever "John Henry" & Labrador "Tess" with Don A. - 54 miles
- Giant breed winner: Italiano Spinone "Romey" with Kathy M. - 73 miles
Pet parenting is hard. We help you solve veterinary problems & strengthen your human-animal bond. In other words, to love better so you become the person your pet thinks you are.
“Thank you all for the walk challenge... it kind of gave me a reason to get out & my dog would grab her leash & tell me we were going to go for a walk! It's really what kept me going during that time because just that little bit of time to get out really helped with all the stress of having to work 40 hours - or more probably more like 70 hours every week...I think it actually was probably what kept me healthy & in the frame of mind to be able to continue to work because I was keeping healthy."
- Tami Weaver during 2020 pandemic
* Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills is a family-owned small business in west Wichita (13303 W. Maple, Suite 143, Wichita, KS 67235). We also serve our friends in Goddard, Clearwater, Maize, Colwich, Viola, Garden Plain, Cheney, Andale, Andover & Augusta. Voted Wichita's favorite veterinary clinic in the Wichita Eagle Reader's Choice Awards.
Read to Your Own Rex program