Safe, fun, kid-friendly activity while still social distancing
What is the Read to Your Own Rex Program?
The program is simple, fun & good for you.
Simply read at least 5 books aloud to your own pet - Rex or Bella or Whiskers - and return your hand-made reading log for prizes at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills.
Your pet can be a dog, a cat, a fish, a turtle or any other living creature. Read at least 5 books to win prizes. Read 25 books & win a Courage Fund** plush K-9.
June 1 to July 31, annually.
Why do it?
Kids who do not read over the summer will lose more than two months of reading achievement - often dubbed the "summer slide" by literacy experts.
By the end of 6th grade, kids who lose reading skills over multiple summers could be two years behind their classmates, according to Reading is Fundamental.
Since Kansas schools closed in March, reading practice is needed more than ever.
Read to Your Own Rex can help!
Pets are great listeners. Even if they can't understand the story - pets understand the bonding.
Who can participate?
* Children 12 years old and younger
* Clients, non-clients
* Pet owners, non-pet owners (read to your friend's pet!)
Ready, Set, Read!
* Register by emailing Stacey Stamps at email@example.com the following information: (1) child's name, (2) child's age, (3) pet name (4) pet species. The sender's email address will be our way to contact you.
* Create your own reading log and start tracking books as early as June 1.
* Read at least five books aloud to your pet. Ideally, the books should be at the child's reading level.
* Readers can return their logs in person after July 31, 2020, (no sooner, please) to pick up prizes (while supplies last).
* Logs must be received by August 14 to be eligible for prizes.
* Participate in the Read to Your Own Rex Facebook Event page sharing your tips & photos & memories.
* Email your walking photos to firstname.lastname@example.org for use on our Facebook, Instagram (@loveictvet) and website to help encourage others to keep going!
Meet Your Goal & Win!
* From Aug. 1 through Aug. 14, readers may bring their reading logs to Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills for prizes.
* Prizes distributed in-person only.
* Readers may only count books read aloud from June 1 through July 31.
** Our non-profit Courage Fund: Providing free care to Wichita Police & Fire working dogs so their handlers only have to worry about catching criminals and rescuing citizens. See our Courage Fund page for more information.
We're all in this together. Can't wait to hear your stories & see your successes!