- About Us
Join our free annual summer reading program
Motivate the kids to practice reading aloud by pairing them with your family's pets - dogs, cats, fish, Guinea Pig or others. They can win prizes and get ahead for the upcoming school year in our Read to Your Own Rex summer reading program.
June 1 to July 31, annually. Registration begins after Memorial Day.
The program is simple. Read at least five books aloud to your own pet - Rex or Bella or Whiskers - and return your reading log for prizes at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills. Your pet can be a dog, a cat, a fish, a turtle or any other living creature.
Why do it?
Kids who do not read over the summer will lose more than two months of reading achievement - often dubbed the "summer slide" by literacy experts. By the end of 6th grade, kids who lose reading skills over multiple summers could be two years behind their classmates, according to Reading is Fundamental. Read to Your Own Rex can help!
Pets are great listeners. Even if they can't understand the story - pets understand the bonding.
Sign up begins after Memorial Day at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills, at 135th & Maple, across from Dillon's drive-thru pharmacy.
Who can participate?
* Children 12 years old and younger
* Clients, non-clients
* Pet owners, non-pet owners (read to your friend's pet!)
Ready, Set, Read!
* Register beginning after Memorial Day at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills, 13303 W. Maple, (135th & Maple) and pick up your reading log.
* Read at least five books aloud to your pet. Ideally, the books should be at the child's reading level.
* Return log to pick up prizes (as early as July 1).
* Logs must be received by the first week in August to be eligible for prizes.